the student newspaper of Shorewood High School

The Tempest

The Tempest

The Tempest

Dune part two: A sand-sational story

The second movie of the acclaimed book series hits the theaters
Timothee Chalet stars in Dune Part 1

A deep voice in a distant language speaks, “Power Over Spice Is Power Over All”, this single line sets the stage for the overarching conflict of this deep world. We first see Princess Irulen, daughter of the emperor of the known universe as she records a diary in which she relays her thoughts on the happenings of Part: 1 

When we see Paul Atreides for the first time, he opens his eyes to the setting sun of an eclipse, casting a shadow over the planet Arrakis. A short battle scene commences where the Fremen along with Paul demonstrate their battle prowess. In the first 10 minutes of the film Director Denis Villeneuve shows us once again why he’s in charge of this critically acclaimed adaptation of Frank Herbert’s “Dune” series. 

Dune Part: 2 picks up right where the first movie ended. After the slaughter of House Atreides and Paul’s father, Duke Leto Atreides played by Oscar Isaac. Lady Jessica, Paul’s mother played by Rebecca Ferguson, and Paul, played by Timothee Chalamet, are tasked with revenge as they set out across the desert, traveling with the Fremen back to their Seitch, a Fremen village. From there the first part of the film largely focuses on Paul’s journey toward acceptance into Fremen society. Throughout the movie, Paul continuously voices his disdain for the prophecy of the Lisan Al-Gaib (the voice from the outer world), a legend about an off-worlder who unites the Fremen and leads them to freedom against the Harkonnen. Paul repeatedly states that he is against the idea despite his Mother, Bene Gesserit, and Fremen mentor Stilgard’s support. 

After an attack on the Fremen Sietch by the Harkonnens, leaving it destroyed with many dead or wounded, an angry Paul embraces the prophecy to become the Lisan Al-Gaib, and all the power that comes with it, viewing this decision as the only way his family can survive and the Fremen can be free. 

The story is set across a myriad of stunning locations on the Planet Arrakis and the known universe. With today’s CGI and special effects. Films can simulate practically any environment. But nothing can beat beautiful scenery like the real thing. While they can’t film on Arakis, the deserts and mountains of Jordan and the UAE provide the next best thing. Villeneuve and composer Hans Zimmer paired the incredible landscapes with an equally spectacular soundtrack. Zimmer added a whole new dimension to the story, doing away with the traditional orchestra he experimented with new sounds and ways of playing. Ultimately creating a unique and thrilling experience.

Dune Part: 1 and Part: 2 tell the complete story of the first Dune book. The highly anticipated upcoming third movie would tell the story of “Dune Messiah,” the second book in the 6-book main series. Villeneuve said in an interview that if he were to make Dune three it “should be the last Dune movie for me.” 

In this era of sequels, franchises, and cinematic universes, it seems rare that a movie can captivate its audiences to the degree that this film has. Fans are looking forward to the third and final installment of the Villeneuve adaptation.