the student newspaper of Shorewood High School

The Tempest

The Tempest

The Tempest

Dorm Room Essentials

Fun Ideas to individualize your dorm room in college
Dorm Room Essentials

It’s that time of year for seniors! The big transition from high school to college is life changing, and soon many college freshmen will begin moving into their new dorms. You might have recently started noticing videos on your TikTok and For You Page about dorm essentials and must-haves for upcoming dorm life. Let’s take a look at TikTok’s popular recommendations for fun and useful essentials to have in your dorm room. 

TikTok’s Dorm Recommendations:

• Small portable fan: Perfect for the first few weeks of school when the August air is still warm, especially if you’re going somewhere warmer for college. Can be bought for only $15 on Amazon. 
  • Posters: Give your room a cozy vibe and allow you to express yourself in your dorm. Posters elevate your dorm room and are cheap, you can even print them yourself or find cheap packs on Amazon starting at $6.
  • Fairy lights: A classic dorm must-have to decorate your dorm room that looks good and takes away from the harsh main room light. On Amazon for around $15.
  • Rug: Having a comfortable rug to step on in the morning instead of the cold dorm floor is a must. This also makes your room look more comfortable and decorated. Some were found on Target for $30. 
  • Shower caddy and sliders: Communal showers in dorm life can be a drag, but being prepared makes it easier. TikTok has been raving about the Amazon $15 caddy that carries shower essentials to and from the showers. Amazon’s $15 shower slides to avoid germs on shower floors is another need. 
  • Mini fridge: It is worth investing in a place to keep drinks and snacks, useful but might not be ideal for smaller dorm rooms. Can be found at Best Buy for $50.
  • Digital Camera: Fun way to take pictures with friends at college, can be found on Amazon for $25.
  • Small mirror for desk: Not all dorm rooms come with mirrors, and having a small mirror on a desk space is perfect for doing makeup easily. Can be found on Amazon for $17.
  • Headboard pillow: Dorm TikTok has been raving about the Amazon headboard pillow that makes dorm beds look and feel more comfortable. These can be found on Amazon for $30.
  • Diffuser: Makes your dorm room smell good and clean, while burning scented candles is not allowed in many dorms. 
  • Echo dot: A more pricey recommendation from TikTok, but great for music and setting timers or alarms. On Amazon for $50.
  • Closet Organizer Hangers: One of the many recommendations that are popular on TikTok is these special hangers that can hang multiple shirts and pants straight down to save space. These hangers can be found on Amazon for $13.