the student newspaper of Shorewood High School

The Tempest

The Tempest

The Tempest

Underrated Movies and TV shows

If you’re looking for something new to binge, here are some underappreciated options for you

TV: 

“Santa Clarita Diet”

We all know that classic zombie story. You get bit by a zombie and start eating people. Although the original premise of the “zombies” was a hit when it first debuted in the movie franchise, the story has died out a little, and for some even become repetitive. Looking for a show that takes a boring zombie but instead of serving it straight up serves it with a twist? The “Santa Clarita Diet” is the show for you. Sheila and Joel are married realtors in Santa Clarita living a cookie-cutter lifestyle when Sheila contracts disease, which leads to her gaining a more inhuman appetite. In efforts to keep their family together, and hide Sheila’s new lifestyle from their daughter Abby and nosey neighbors, Joel and Sheila tag team, taking down the evils of the world and turning them into a meal. If you’re looking for something light-hearted and comedic, this show is for you. Starring Drew Barrymore, and Timothy Olyphant, the show knocks any zombie show and or movie you have ever watched out of the water. 

“From Scratch” 

Looking for a good cry? From Scratch is the show for you. Amy Wheeler, played by Zoe Saldana, is a girl from Texas interested in pursuing art and takes a last-minute trip to Italy for an internship. There, not only does she fall in love with Italy, but she falls in love with Lino, played by Eugenio Mastrandrea, an Italian chef. Conflicted about what to do, Lino moves to Los Angeles with Amy as their love continues to bloom. This show is equally lighthearted as it is filled with heartbreak. As Amy and Lino navigate through the trials and tribulations of marriage comes with, you fall in love with them. Make sure when watching to have a box of tissues in reach, because this Netflix mini-series will make even those void of emotion shed a tear. 

“Survival of the Thickest”

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the most bingeable show on Netflix, “Survival of the Thickest.” After finding her long-term boyfriend in bed with her co-worker, Mavis Beaumont, played by Michelle Buteau, has to turn her life upside down and around in order to move on. Mavis relies on her friends, who add comedic relief and good life advice at all times. As Mavis starts her self-relaxation journey, she gets into a whirlwind of fun and laughs with the gang that will make you giggle at the screen. In this heartwarming mini-series, the perils of a bad breakup are played out on screen, being sad, relatable, and funny at the same time, this is the perfect show to watch with friends and family.

Movies: 

“The Ritual”

If you are a person who can’t sit through a rom-com, this one’s for you. Have you ever taken a weekend trip to go hiking with friends? Well, if you’ve been thinking of going in the near future, you should definitely… not watch “The Ritual.” For those of you who have no upcoming plans for adventures in the wilderness, this movie is perfect. Directed by David Brukner, The Ritual is centered around a group of friends reuniting for a hiking trip in Sweden to memorialize their good friend’s tragic and mysterious passing. After unfortunate events and a restless night, the group decides to take a shortcut through the forest, only to find their judgment impaired, as they encounter a monster among the trees. If you are an avid horror fan, this is the movie for you. Your regular jump scare movie is twisted into the cinematic revolution that “The Ritual” movie is. With twists and turns it is the perfect movie to keep you on the edge of your seat. 

“Someone Great” 

We all want our dreams to come true, right? When Jenny Young, played by Gina Rodriguez, gets a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity she has to make a decision between her dreams or her long-term relationship with her boyfriend Nate, played by LaKeith Stanfield. In the movie, “Someone Great,” Jenny is a character that everyone falls in love with. With her witty banter with friends Blair, played by Britney Snow, and Erin, played by DeWanda Wise, the movie is mesmerizing to watch. Embodying the ideals of girlhood in the ‘big city’ (New York). With last goodbyes in mind and confusion about the future, this movie above all relatable. If you are looking for a movie with an amazing playlist and a perfect coming-of-age story, “Someone Great” on Netflix, is the perfect movie for you.