the student newspaper of Shorewood High School

The Tempest

The Tempest

The Tempest

Off-campus eats

Some of our favorite lunch spots beyond the cafeteria
Off-campus+eats

PALS

Another great option for lunch is here at Shorewood called PALS club, which is located in the 1300 wing. This option gives you a great chance to interact with people that you may have never interacted with. Every Thursday there is a big table set up in the room where you can go and eat lunch with kids that might need special assistance. There is usually some sort of game and they even give you haichews. This is a great opportunity for you to learn from people with different learning styles that you may not be accustomed with. It is beneficial for everyone involved to attend this club. This is a safe place where everyone is welcome. A special event that PALS club is holding is on March 21st which is World Down Syndrome Day. It also happens to be a Thursday and everyone can come connect with different people and learn more about down syndrome. 

Town & Country

Town & Country, better known as Central Market by Shorewood Students, is the hot spot for highschool students during lunch. Students from Shorewood, Shorecrest, and even Ingraham drive all the way up to Central for lunch. This makes Central a crowded mess. So if you’re trying to avoid people and have social anxiety, Central Market is not the place to go for lunch. Apart from the crowds the food is pretty good. The hot bar is very hit or miss. On some days there is a great combination of food from mashed potatoes to mac n’ cheese to chicken tenders. But other days there’s this weird potato mix and chicken wings too greasy beyond repair. Apart from the hot food bar their soup bar is a great cheap option, with so many different good soups. My personal favorite is the tomato basil soup. You can even get bread on the side for very cheap. The pizza is also very affordable but I don’t think it is as good as everyone makes it out to be. The pizza sauce is very good but the cheese is just disgusting, it tastes almost fake. However, if you love the pizza, the pizza punch card, which allows students to get a free pizza after purchasing 10 pieces of pizza, is a great option. One thing to know before going to Central is that it can be pricey. The sandwiches are pretty expensive and the hot food bar can get expensive if you get too much food (so don’t get carried away). But, overall Central provides a great and convenient option for lunch, however if you’re trying to avoid a crowd I’d go elsewhere. 

Chipotle

Chipotle was very popular when it was initially put in about a year ago but I personally think that there are better lunch options out there. The number one problem with Chipotle is its portion size. The bowls are way too big for a person to eat in one sitting, especially at lunch. Some may say that you can just take your leftovers home but people don’t want to put their leftovers in their car and make it smell like Chipotle and if you don’t have a car, you’d have to carry your Chipotle which no one wants to do. Not to mention if you have guacamole in your meal it goes bad very quickly. The only reasonably sized meal there is the kids meal which actually does provide a great cheap option. Another problem with Chipotle is it can sometimes make you feel pretty gross after eating it, and no one wants to go back to school after eating Chipotle. I don’t know if there is such a thing as being too full but if there is Chiptole definitely is that. If you are craving Mexican food for lunch I’d suggest Taqueria El Sober, which is not too far away and has much better quality food.

Starbucks

Don’t get me wrong, I love Starbucks but it is just not the best option for lunch. Starbucks is also a very popular lunch spot, it offers mobile orders which is a big plus so you can get back in time to school. The drinks are great but in my opinion the food options are just not that great for lunch. Most of the food options are pastries but they do offer sandwiches which, to me, aren’t filling enough. The grilled cheese is pretty good, but I think it’s too rich. I’m also not a big fan of breakfast for lunch which downgrades my liking for Starbucks. Personally, it just doesn’t provide enough options to be a viable lunch spot, but for some people Starbucks is great. 

Costco Area:

Teriyaki Island

Teriyaki Island is one of my favorite spots for lunch. The food is really good and there are many options for whatever you’re feeling that day. The portion sizes are really big, coming with a meat, rice, and you can also get gyoza on the side. One of the major problems with this place is how inconvenient it is. It is located in the Costco parking lot so it isn’t that far away but depending on the construction on Aurora it may take a very long time. It also usually takes about 10 minutes to make the food so that leaves you very little time to eat and get back to school, especially if you are the one driving. It also doesn’t provide the easiest food to eat on the way. Despite the downsides, the food is really good, you just have to be conscious of your time if you are going to get this lunch option.

Emerald City Smoothies

Emerald City Smoothies is a classic option for lunch. The smoothies are very good but they aren’t filling enough for lunch. If you’re looking for a full on meal, Emerald City Smoothies isn’t the place to go. If you’re just looking for a refresher, these smoothies provide a great option. You can also get the smoothies on the side with some food, but they are on the expensive side so it isn’t a great option for those who can’t afford it. Another problem with this spot is the location. It can take a long time if there are a lot of people there, but this isn’t always a problem. Overall, I love the smoothies but it can be pretty pricey for what it is, making it not the best lunch option for high school students..

Jersey Mikes

One of my favorite lunch options. The sandwiches are good and it also offers great gluten free options. It has a great variety of meats and different toppings, as well as really good bread. My personal favorite is a BLT on Rosemary Parmesan bread. You can also get chips on the side which adds a great balance. One of the major problems with Jersey Mikes is the timing. It is also located in the Costco parking lot so it is not the closest option. Some days there will be only one person working with about 5 people in line and it will take an hour and other days the timing is just fine. The pricing isn’t horrible but it also isn’t the cheapest option. Jersey Mikes is a great option for lunch because of how good the sandwiches are, you just have to watch your time and make sure to be the first in line. 

McDonalds

McDonalds is a classic option for lunch. Timewise most days it is easy to go through the drive through and get back in time for school with time to spare, but there are days where it takes forever. It is a great cheap option for lunch and it also provides free fry Friday. One of the downsides of McDonalds is that it is fast food, and it can often taste too much like fast food. The fries are really good but they can make you feel gross afterwards because it definitely isn’t the healthiest option. McDonalds feels like more of a night time snack because of how unhealthy it is. 

Chick-fil-A

In the words of Lila Curtis, Chick-fil-A “consistently hits.” The food is really good, from the chicken sandwiches to the mac n’ cheese. The drinks are super refreshing and overall it has a variety of options for everyone. Although it is far away if you order through the mobile app and go through the drive through you should be able to get back to school in time. One of the major downsides of Chick-fil-A is its values regarding the LGBTQ community, which is a reason why many people don’t go.

Trader Joe’s

A common place for underclassmen who can’t drive to visit during lunch. There’s a pretty wide variety of options. From ready to go wraps and sandwiches to countless different types of drinks and smaller snacks, Trader Joe’s has tons of lunch choices. One of the only critiques I would give this place is that some of the options can be a little pricey, especially for the younger students that tend to go there. Don’t get me wrong, you’re not going to be breaking the bank just by buying one of their Chicken Wraps. But it’s still going to add up pretty quickly if you’re going there everyday. Plus there’s the fact that while it’s close you do still have to be careful if you’re walking to make sure you’re not coming back late.

Sultan Gyro and Shawarma Grill

Another close lunch spot if you’re someone who doesn’t drive. The Sultan Gyro and Shawarma Grill is a Greek spot just up the street from Shorewood. Compared to most Greek places the Sultan Gyro and Shawarma Grill is relatively cheap but that being said, for a student on a budget there are still probably cheaper options. The main draw of this place is the distance. Though it’s bound to get busy sometimes, it’s close enough that even if you walk slowly you’re still going to make it to class on time. The biggest downside I would give it is that despite the food being pretty okay it’s very strong smell wise and therefore not something you’re probably gonna want to bring to class.

Be on the lookout for Mod Pizza and Big Chicken coming soon in the Central Market parking lot!