the student newspaper of Shorewood High School

The Tempest

The Tempest

The Tempest

Album Review

A wrap-up of 2023’s best music

“GUTS”, Olivia Rodrigo

Olivia Rodrigo’s sophomore album debuted at No.1 on the Billboard 200 Albums chart. While Rodrigo’s first album was centered around her anger and sadness after a breakup, her new album “GUTS” talks about the mixed feelings of wanting to go back to old relationships, while also hating his guts. This is highlighted in the songs “Bad Idea right?” and “get him back!”. Rodrigo touches on her issues with self-esteem with songs such as “Lacy” and “Pretty isn’t Pretty”. Whether you want a song about the trials of being a teenager or want to scream about how much your ex sucks, this album is the perfect blend.

“Did You Know That There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd”, Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Ray’s ninth studio album arrived to great fanfare. While not reaching the same heights as its predecessor, “[Norman Rockwell],” it still managed to hold its own debuting at No.3 on the Billboard 200, and some say that it is Del Rey’s best album yet. This additionally seems to be her most introspective album, writing mainly about her family and touching on topics like dealing with grief and loss. Del Rey gives voice to her anxieties of not being able to be a mother, and not being able to live a normal life. This album is mysterious yet exceedingly raw in her writing of the inner workings of her mind. 

“Stick Season (We’ll All Be Here Forever)”, Noah Kahan

The original “Stick Season” released in October of last year gained so much notice that artist Noah Kahan decided to release an extended version of the album gaining even more attention for his music. Kahan on the album has done covers with artists such as Lizzy McAlpine, Kacey Musgraves, Post Malone, and Hozier. “[We’ll All Be Here Forever]” by Kahan is a folk/indie album that is inspired by country music. The use of the mandolin throughout the album is surprising yet charming and accompanied by guitar riffs that transport listeners to the cold New England of Kahan’s hometown. He sings about his complex feelings of being trapped there with folk arrangements that seem to put you right into the Vermont environment, perfect for fall. 

“Unreal Unearth”, Hozier

An artist commended for his lyrical genius, Hozier further cements that title in our minds with this album. Hozier’s third album explores the nine circles of hell, inspired by Dante’s Inferno. “Unreal Unearth” tells the journey of his traveling through hell, each song representing a different circle. The last song “First Light” represents the hopeful end of this voyage. In this album, Hozier writes an eerie yet sad journey through the underworld as an analogy for somebody exploring loss and love.

“Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)”, Taylor Swift & “1989 (Taylor’s Version)”, Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift has dominated the music industry for almost 20 years, but she only seems to be getting bigger. With the release of Swift’s re-recordings of her “Speak Now” and “1989” albums, there is a boom in popularity. The original “Speak Now” album sold one million copies it’s release week and was No. 1 on the Billboard 200 for six weeks. While the original “1989” sold over 10 million copies and was at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 for 11 weeks. Now the “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” and “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” albums collected 126.3 million and 176 million streams, on Spotify alone, on the day of release. Apple Music and Spotify both crashed minutes after the release of “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” due to the heavy traffic. Both “[Taylor’s Version]” albums debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200. Who knows how many more records Swift will break with her next “[Taylor’s Version]” albums.