the student newspaper of Shorewood High School

The Tempest

The Tempest

The Tempest

Spring Sports

A mid-season catch up on our spring sports teams
Spring+Sports
by Kayla Garberding

Baseball

After losing their coach in late March, the boys baseball team has persevered and put in massive amounts of effort to honor the late coach Tonkin. The team has an overall record of 8-9 and is ranked 11 out of the 21 teams in WESCO. Go support the team on April 23 at Meridian Park at 4:00 as they take on Cedarcrest in their last home game of the season. 

Softball

Girls softball has had a strong start to their season, with a current record of 9-5. Captain Paige Petschl, senior, says the season has been solid so far. “We’re really looking forward to our senior night,” Petschl says. Come watch the team at their next home game on April 29 against Marysville-Getchell. 

Boys Soccer 

The boys soccer team has had a great start to their season. They have a current record of 11-1 in WESCO and are ranked 2 in the state. “Everyone is working so hard, and we’re seeing a lot of success on the field,” says soccer captain Henry Franey. The team is looking forward to playing one of their fiercest rivals, Edmonds-Woodway, on April 17. Franey encourages students to continue to show up to home games. “We love having spectators, and your energy makes us play better,” Franey says. 

Boys & Girls Golf 

Both the girls and boys golf teams kicked off their seasons with a win in their first league matches. The boys team shot an impressive 169 to secure the win in their first WESCO match. The girls team is currently 1-2 and is ranked 6 out of 21 teams in WESCO. The girls next match is on May 1 and the boys have a match on May 2 both at 3:30 at Jackson park golf course. 

Girls tennis 

The defending Wesco champs have had a great start to their season and remain undefeated. The team is currently 11-0 and still maintains their number one spot in WESCO. Senior and captain Emily Lin shares that their season so far has been great. “I’m really looking forward to postseason and districts and state this year,” Lin says. Make sure to come support the girls tennis team on May 1 which is their senior night against Snohomish. 

Boys and girls Track 

The boys track team has had a fantastic season so far with the boys record being 7-0 and the girls being 6-1. Senior Quissett Sachs, who runs the 100m and throws shot put, has been able to enjoy the weather this season. “The beginning was pretty wet and windy and it was hard to stay motivated but the past few weeks have been incredibly sunny and warm and I’ve really been enjoying the team”. Come support the team at one of their meets which are almost every thursday. The team is also looking forward to the Shoreline invitational on April 27, which is “a super fun invitational where some of the fastest runners of the northwest come together,” Sachs says. 

Girls Water Polo

The girls water polo team started their season off with an impressive win against Newport high school. They are currently ranked third in their division with a record of 1-1 after a close loss against Ingraham. Come support the team as they face Ingraham again in their next home match on April 30 at the Innis Arden pool at 3:15. 

Lacrosse

The boys lacrosse team has been putting up a strong fight this season. “This season has been a bit tough, we are 3-6 with some really close losses,” Owen Moulder, senior on the lacrosse team says. Despite facing some challenges, this season hasn’t had a lack of accomplishments. “A highlight was definitely beating Liberty Oregon 16-11 after being down 5-8,” Moulder says. Make sure to come watch the team’s senior night on May 3 at 8:00 against Shorecrest at the Shoreline Stadium.