the student newspaper of Shorewood High School

The Tempest

The Tempest

The Tempest

Seattle bookstores

Locally owned independent bookstores ready

For some nothing is better than curling up with a good book. Getting lost within the pages of your favorite novel can be an exciting escape. But what do you do when you’re in the mood for a good read but have no book to relax with? Lucky for you there are so many bookstores for you to peruse in the greater Seattle area.

1. Ridgecrest Books

Located just down the street from Landmark’s Crest Cinema Center, the newly opened Ridgecrest Books sits beckoning shoppers inside. Owned by friends Becky Merilatt and Kevin Roberts, Ridgecrest Books aims to be a family-friendly bookstore with a curated selection of both new and used books. “Kevin and I worked together at another bookstore before opening Ridgecrest Books and our experience running that store has influenced all of our decisions around what we wanted for Ridgecrest Books,” says Merilatt, “Even the decision to call the store ‘Ridgecrest’ Books was a conscious decision – a sort of declaration that we are here to provide a service to the neighborhood, to be gathering place to share ideas and experiences. We want Shoreline residents to feel ownership over this space.” When walking into the store you are immediately greeted with a more open concept space that makes the amount of books feel endless. From more popular reads to lesser-known books there is something for every reader here. One thing I really loved is the sheer amount of recommendations that litter the shelves. Sometimes all it takes is a little push to help you find a great book and the suggestions from Merilatt and Roberts give a more personal feel to the bookstore as a whole.

1. Edmonds Bookshop

A local establishment in Edmonds since 1972, the Edmonds Bookshop has been serving the book-loving community for years. The Edmonds Bookshop is a good stop for anyone going on a leisurely shopping trip through Edmonds. The used book section always has some great reads to buy if you’re looking for books at a more affordable price but even if you venture outside of that small section there are plenty of books to accommodate those in all kinds of price ranges. One of my favorite things about this bookstore is how comfortable it all feels. Though the ratio of books to space may sometimes seem daunting it is by no means crowded. With a coffee from one of the surrounding cafés in your hand, it’s very easy to get lost in all the books, making it a great way to spend a more chill day.

1. Elliot Bay Book Company

If you’re looking for a bookstore that takes the majority of your day to look through, Elliot Bay Book Company is the place for you. Though it’s sometimes easy to underestimate the sheer enormity of this store from the outside, the tall ceilings and shelves of books going further than you can see are a dead giveaway to the real size of the space when you walk in. There are a wide variety of sections that make it easy for you to find exactly the kind of book you want. So whether you’re in the mood for a romance book or you’re the kind of person who likes to read essays and criticisms, there is certainly a book here for you.

1. Secret Garden Bookshop

Located in Ballard, Secret Garden Books is a great local bookstore especially for families with younger kids. Celebrating 47 years of business this year, Secret Garden Books has been an integral part of the surrounding community when hosting fun events, book signings, and even helping out with the occasional school book fair. If you’re looking to get your child or younger sibling into reading I definitely recommend visiting Secret Garden Books first, the more fantastical elements of the bookstore’s design make it perfect for readers of any age. And with galleries, stores, and lots of coffee shops in every direction, Secret Garden Books is the perfect stop for a day trip in Ballard.

1. Ophelia’s Books

Since 1997 Opelia’s Books has been the bookstore to go to for high-quality used books in Fremont. Though there are sometimes limits to a used bookstore, whether it’s that they don’t have exactly what you want or it’s harder to find newer books, Ophelia’s Books does a great job at accommodating every customer needs no matter what they’re looking for. While it can be hard to find good quality used books it’s because of Ophelia’s Books that I know it’s possible. If you are looking for something to do as the weather gets nice, a day in Fremont can make a wonderful trip and if it’s one that you end up taking Ophelia’s Books is a must on places to visit.