the student newspaper of Shorewood High School

The Tempest

The Tempest

The Tempest

Family candle entrepreneurship

The story of a local business success
by Kat Sitaras

Who among us can say they don’t love candles? Watching the flame dance on the wick, letting the smell of the fragrance fill the room around us, enjoying the beautiful dish the candle is set in and the decoration adorning it. That’s exactly what senior Jesus Garcia was thinking about when he decided to start his business, Cielo y Amor Candle Company.

In 2023, Garcia started his business to help his mother pursue her dream of selling candles. His mother first expressed this desire around two years ago, but because of busy schedules, the idea couldn’t get off the ground just yet.

“At first, I was thinking this might look good for my college resume; what if we started up a candle business?” Garcia said. “What if we start up that candle business that you wanted to do years ago? And she was like, ‘Okay but if we do it, we really gotta do it.’… So we started from there and I really ended up liking it.”

Together, the two of them manage Cielo y Amor Candle Company. They source most of the vessels they make their candles in from artisans in Mexico, so each one is handmade and hand-painted. The only exceptions are their beautiful imported Japanese tea cups.

The candles are made to order, each with hand-poured coconut wax and topped with an arrangement of dried flowers. “As of now, we have no plans to add a customizable floral option as we match the flowers to the scent of your candle. However, if you add a note detailing what flowers you’d like to have on your candle, we’d be more than happy to customize it the way you like as long as we have the colors you want.”

There are currently nine scents to choose from, each smelling better than the last: Autumn, Honeydew Melon, Strawberry Pocky, Peach Nectar, Egyptian Amber, Besitos de Amor, Cherry Blossom, Rose All Day, and Lavender.

“We need more customer testimonies.” He claims. “[But] our candles are wonderful souvenirs from Mexico that bring a little piece of Jalisco right into your home.”

Garcia admits that it can be hard to manage the business, his school work, and all of his responsibilities as a senior, even with his mother helping him. Between managing the Etsy shop, taking in-person orders from students around Shorewood, and trying to market the business with fliers and Instagram posts, Garcia spends a good chunk of his time working on the company. “It takes time from other things.” He says.

One thing he hasn’t let the company take time away from is looking at and applying to colleges. 

“I hope [to continue in college].” He says. “I view our products as very unique, and I think they could stay on the market for a while.”

He’s been very vocal about his plans to study at a Japanese university. He says he has no plans to let that change affect the business in any way other than positive. “One of the main things I want to expand upon if I do hopefully end up going to Japan is bringing the international market into the picture and trying to sell candles to people in Japan.”

“Beautifully hand-crafted candles made with coconut-soy wax, topped with elegant floral decor.” As the Etsy listing describes, “We believe in sustainability, and that is why all our imported handcrafted Mexican vessels are meant for you to keep and reuse. Whether for decor, a special gift, or enjoying the aroma of your candle—it’s meant to keep with no waste!”

The best way to support this family-owned small business is to follow and shop. Help their marketing by reposting their posts from @cieloyamorcandlecompany on Instagram. Shop their products on their Etsy; the link is in their Instagram bio. The more support they get, the bigger and better this business can grow.