the student newspaper of Shorewood High School

The Tempest

The Tempest

The Tempest

Shorewood’s not so drowsy musical

Drama department produces spring show

The cast of “The Drowsy Chaperone” can’t wait to say “Hello” and “Show Off” their play. Although you won’t need to wear a “Fancy Dress,” they still hope you’ll stumble along into the theater from April 11 to the 21 to catch one of their eight performances.

“The Drowsy Chaperone” is the story of a man whose favorite Broadway play “The Drowsy Chaperone” comes to life around him as he listens to the cast recording. The play within a play showcases the story of a couple wanting to get married while almost everyone around them frantically attempts to stop the wedding. With the main plot meant to make you laugh and applaud, many underlying themes of loneliness are brought to light throughout the play. It will take you through a roller coaster of emotions with different twists and turns at every angle. You will be transported back to the 1920s where the play within the play takes place, feeling as if you are a guest at the wedding.

“It’s such a fun process all around and there’s not a single part that’s bad about it,” Morgan Bacon, sophomore, says. Bacon plays the part of the Drowsy Chaperone in the play, being one of many leads. Bacon shares the role with freshman Clara Abernathy.

The amazing thing about this musical is how many opportunities come with it to be a lead. With 13 main roles and eight of those roles being double cast, many students get the opportunity to be in the spotlight. The cast has a total of 38 members, with an ensemble of 17.

Students rehearsing after school in the black box (by Abbi Brueck)

Directed by Amy Pottinger, one of Shorewoods very own English teachers, and Shorewoods only drama teacher. Pottinger hopes to keep to the original story and music of the play while also making a few minor changes because of some things that may be viewed as racist, such as the song “Message From a Nightingale.”

“My favorite part about the process is when we’re first getting into costumes and full runs of the show and watching it actually come together,” Grace Abernathy, senior, says. Although we as the audience only get to see the much-practiced final product of all their hard work. The cast gets to not only see behind the scenes but be a part of them as well. 

When thinking about what all goes into a musical the first thing that comes to mind for most people is the cast who will be performing under the bright lights. But, there are many different elements to putting on a show than just acting. With the accompaniment of a live orchestra and many talented stage crew and tech, the show would not be able to go on without it. 

The cast is a tight-knit community made up of freshmen to seniors who spend their time teambuilding and rehearsing throughout the year as they gear up to finally showcase the spring musical. An hour and 45 minutes of laughter, chaos, and energy ushered into the spotlight by many skilled Shorewood scholars. 

Opening night is April 11 and runs that weekend until Sunday. Closing night is April 21 having shows every night from the 18 to the 21. If you wish to see this amazing show you can purchase tickets through Brown Bear Tickets or click the link on the Shorewood Drama webpage. Tickets are $12, but if you wish to see the play for free and get service hours, Shorewood students can sign up to be an usher at one of the many performances. The cast and crew are so excited to share all of their hard work with you and hope that you will come to see “The Drowsy Chaperone”.