the student newspaper of Shorewood High School

The Tempest

The Tempest

The Tempest

First wheels wisdom

First car picks for high school drivers
First wheels wisdom
by Kelly Blue Book

You’ve been working all summer saving each paycheck and finally, you’ve got a bit of cash. So you start looking at cars but you don’t know where to start. You don’t know what you want or are unfamiliar with the different options, and there are a lot. This list aims to help with that! In no particular order here are five cars you may want to consider as your first.

Mazda 3- The Mazda 3 is a great option for any teen. Falling within an affordable price range, you can find one with little difficulty for under $7,500. With insurance prices that won’t completely drain your savings, you’ll be able to spend your hard-earned money on other necessities. While not the most fuel-efficient car ever made with a combined miles per gallon(mpg) of 28, you won’t empty your wallet when you fill your tank.

Volvo XC-90- If you want a more spacious interior than a sedan or hatchback then an SUV could be just right. The 2006 Volvo XC-90 boasts a spacious interior, even a third row of seats when you want to pack in as many people as possible. Unfortunately only getting 17 mpg combined, the fuel economy isn’t its best feature. Receiving great crash test scores the XC-90 will keep you and your passengers safe in the event of any accidents.

Honda Civic- What list would be complete without a Honda? Specifically the late 2000’s era Civic. When you first hear Civic you’re probably thinking about some clapped-out, straight-piped wannabe race car. But the Civic can make a great first car. With the standard making 29 mpg and the hybrid getting 42 mpg, fuel economy is something you won’t have to worry about. For pricing, a used Civic from that era will cost you anywhere from $2,000 to $15,000 with most falling around $6,000 to $8,000. A great feature is the affordability of repairs, with the popularity of civics the parts for them are cheap and readily available.

Toyota Sienna- If you want the space to haul all your friends and more, this minivan could be the right choice for you. While less appealing to some than a shiny new sports car or an outfitted truck. The usefulness of this family room on wheels is undeniable. We all know how bad the parking lots can get here at Shorewood, The sliding doors of the minivan allow for easy access for your passengers. The Toyota Sienna is a fantastic option for any student. Fast enough to have fun, legally of course.  Just slow enough that your parents won’t worry about you getting pulled over going 140. 

Ford Focus- The compact nature of this vehicle is great for students, and the ability to park in tight spaces without trading paint is fantastic. Along with getting pretty decent fuel economy at around 26 mpg, the focus provides a great platform to commute to school or work.