the student newspaper of Shorewood High School

The Tempest

The Tempest

The Tempest

The end of an era

The mixed emotions of the Apple Cup
by Minseo Kim

The University of Washington Huskies and Washington State University Cougars is one of the biggest rivalries in college football, but the more than 100-year legacy may be coming to an end in the 2024 season. 

All across Washington, the Apple Cup is a truly iconic cultural event that divides families and communities, and Shorewood is no different. Both staff and students divide themselves between the two teams, occasionally sparking heated debates. 

Paul Villanueva, math teacher, and die-hard Husky fan, has mixed feelings on UW’s big decision to move. “I understand the move in a business sense,” he said,  “I wish there was an avenue to elevate our programs while keeping the PAC 12.” Villanueva thinks that West Coast football culture is quite different than it is in the Midwest, and that may cause issues for the migrating teams. But he also believes that the schools that are staying are making a good decision, and he would be happy to have them bring in more schools. “Who knows in 10 years,” he said, “… if the pendulum swings back into a hopefully more regional base.”

On the flip side of Husky support, Reid Petschl, a senior football captain, believes that the move to the BIG 10 is the right thing for UW. “I think they made a good move. There’s a lot of money (going) into it,” he said. Petschl thinks the move was good because of the exposure of the BIG 10, bringing in more money to the conference.

The divide between Cougar fans and Husky fans is a large one, but it does bring the community together in ways, too, and many fans of both sides are worried that without the teams being in the same conference, the culture won’t be the same.

“[The move] does take away because you’re different conferences. Takes away some of that high stakes,” Villanueva said, “it’s always fun to be able to send that text out to people that you know are cheering for that other team.” 

Petschl believes the culture may get tenser, and fan support could get even stronger. “It could get a lot more competitive because it’s like the battle of the conferences,” he said. 

On the WSU side, Alina Harestad, activities coordinator, thinks that the move is a mistake. “I think schools made decisions for themselves and not for the league,” Harestad said, “In my perfect world, we could stay here, and everyone would come back.” She feels that the teams leaving are the ones making the mistake because they are leaving for a bigger name and to have more money behind their games. “It’s such a waste of money, in my opinion.” She puts emphasis on the other groups impacted on campus. “Not just football… on club teams and things like that… How many limitations are being put on them now,” she said.

Aaron Haub, drum major and known Cougar fan, believes the move has a negative impact on the other student-athletes. “The Saturday game, the whole football team gets to fly to the East Coast, versus the volleyball team that has to go on a Tuesday. You’re losing so much class time, I think it’s ridiculous,” he said. He feels that the schools leaving are spending too much money and time to go across the country for games but that the schools that are staying, despite doing so out of necessity, are making a bit of a mistake for not going anywhere else. “A PAC 2 makes no sense… But you shouldn’t stay in a league that has fallen apart past a certain level… They should leave, but had everyone stayed, then we wouldn’t have that issue,” he said.

Both sides agree that if the Huskies’ move to the BIG 10 does cause the end of the Apple Cup, the state camaraderie will be affected as well. “It’s this fun thing that I enjoy in my family and in the school environment,” Haub said. “It’s always fun to have my friends clowning on me every time we lose. But we’re losing that value and that experience.”

Villanueva has similar feelings. “It’s contentious on both sides, but it can bring the state together,” he said, “(There’s) always that pride of you’ve got the bragging rights for the year.”

UW’s move to the BIG 10 will have repercussions, from money and transportation to the rivalry of the PAC 12 community. But across Washington and at Shorewood, we’ll be crossing our fingers that that unannounced late November game for the 2024 season will be what we all hope it to be: that this era won’t end just yet.