the student newspaper of Shorewood High School

The Tempest

The Tempest

The Tempest

Sunrise serenade

Jazz Band gets a groove while we snooze

If one could associate “jazz” with a time of day, what would it be? Most people would say night time. But not the Shorewood High School Jazz Band.

Members of jazz band start their school day earlier than most other students at 6:50 a.m. “I usually get 5-6 [hours of sleep],” Andrew Johnson (Baritone Saxophone), freshman, said. But he is not the only one. “Every morning I get up, I’m like, why do I do this?” Gianni Milano (Trombone), junior, said. 

But what is the motive? “I remember that I get to go and play trombone,” said Milano, smiling. “When I know I get to go to jazz band it’s not really a big deal,” Shelby Hegerberg (Alto Saxophone), senior, said.

But who inspires the jazz band? “Probably Charles Mingus…He has so many cool songs, mostly because he uses a lot of controlled chaos,” Johnson said.

“JJ Johnson is a really really good jazz trombonist,” said Milano . “Also Marshall Gilkes.” Elaborating on the influence other jazz musicians had on him. “Those were two that were great to listen to learn what jazz is and all the different nuances.”

“I’ve been playing since 5th grade, so this is my 7th or 8th year, which is weird.” Hegerberg said. Her biggest inspiration has been the musicians around her such as Wilson Manis, who graduated from Shorewood last year.

Many of the musicians are planning on continuing their jazz careers when they go to college.

“Maybe after high school joining a band in college, even outside of school, would just be a really fun opportunity.” Johnson said. “I’ve been trying to look at some colleges and stuff for trombone,” Milano said, “Hopefully a professional trombonist.” “Absolutely,” Hegerberg said, “if I am able to do jazz band in college I would absolutely love to,”

The Jazz band has already performed twice this year, at the Northshore Jazz Festival on Nov. 18, and at Shorewood High School Nov. 21. They will be playing sometime in the week before winter break in the commons before school starts, so be sure to keep an eye out for announcements.

Marshall Menninger, (Alto Saxophone), senior, a long running veteran of the Shorewood High School Jazz Band wanted to discuss why joining jazz band is a good idea. “First of all, it’s fun, I don’t think anyone can deny that.” Menninger said, “Nobody really wants to be up that early, that sort of ‘everybodies in it’ early in the morning together, everybody wants to be there, I feel like that’s a really cool thing”. Jazz music is often times considered the first authentic American genre of music, and has influenced many other popular forms of music today. “We are practicing this form of art that has these deep roots in American history” Menninger said. Jazz band offers musicians a sense of community as well. “It’s like another family, were all practicing jazz” Menninger said. “People should consider joining and it’s one of the most fun classes that I am taking”