the student newspaper of Shorewood High School

The Tempest

The Tempest

The Tempest

What’s snackin?

The best student store options to fill you up
Whats+snackin%3F
by Sophia Sisneros

Ever want to grab a drink or snack at the student store but just don’t know what to buy? Picking from the menu can be overwhelming because of all the options. By now, everyone has seen the long line of students waiting for a snack at the student store. But is the wait worth it? It definitely is, and here are some of the best food and drink items available, along with some behind-the-scenes insight from some of the staff members of the Cove on what they recommend as well. 

First off, here are some of my personal favorites. 

Cinnamon roll latte- Perfect for the holidays and fall/winter seasons 

The Classic smoothies- Come in many different flavors such as mango and strawberry banana

Iced vanilla latte- Sweet drink perfect for waking up early mornings

Chocolate chip cookies- Taste even better warmed up

Taquitos– Perfect for a quick tasty snack during nutrition break 

Some members of the student store staff also have opinions on what’s best. With the busy rush of students during the day purchasing food and drinks, the Cove staff have behind- the-scenes insight into the whole process. 

Libby Norton, junior, is on the smoothie management team. The most popular smoothie that students buy is the marine mango smoothie option. “I think any smoothie is the best,” Norton said, “But that might just be my bias.” Students should try the new smoothie recipes. “The wait in line at the student store is worth it,” Norton says, “We even have new recipes, so every smoothie is delicious.” 

Charlie McFarlane, sophomore, is part of food management.  The most popular food item at the Cove at the moment is chicken nuggets, but with new incoming options, that position of favorite may not hold. “Definitely check out the street tacos,” McFarlane said, “Those are going to be good.” Keep an eye out for those coming soon.

Frankie Lara, sophomore, is one of the coffee managers. “I love our iced mochas with whipped cream,” said Lara. “The Italian sodas are really good too.” Now that the holidays are approaching, new festive items are in the works. “Just some insider info,” said Lara, “We’re doing something peppermint for the holidays.” 

Natalia Martin, sophomore, is in her second year working at the student store, now as a coffee manager. “I usually get an iced caramel macchiato, or a mango Red Bull Italian soda,” Martin said, “Those are my favorites.” As for cozy fall options, lattes are always the perfect choice. “I’d recommend trying the cinnamon roll latte,” said Martin, “It’s perfect for the fall.”

“Come to the student store,” said Martin. “The wait is worth it.”