Staff Editorial: Giving thanks for Homecoming

Photo courtesy of Brianne Sturm

After almost three years without a Homecoming dance, Shorewood came back in full swing this October with its first official Homecoming since COVID-19. And boy, did Shorewood show up.

Dozens of students each day dressed up head to toe to show their school spirit. The halls and stairways were equally full of spirit, each one decorated by the volunteers who sacrificed their own time to come in and help make the school look nice. Each bit of the spirit week was brought together by students and teachers, truly unifying the community.

Homecoming wasn’t without its faults—the DJ was questionable, the mosh pits were borderline dangerous, the lunch competitions were chaotic to say the least, and some students were sadly forgotten when it came to getting counted for spirit days. However, through all of it there were some great moments to remember.

The highlight of the week was definitely the assembly and the Homecoming game. As dozens of students crowded into the gym, you could feel the excitement in the air, and that excitement only continued as the assembly did. Teachers and students dancing, grades competing to sing the fight song, the whole week culminating in one big competition that the seniors won. This thrilling event continued when the football team won the Homecoming game. With a score of 46-21, the Stormrays played their hardest and the crowd was there to cheer them on the entire time.

It wasn’t all perfect. It was obvious as students crowded into the gym that the dance was going to be cramped. But despite the numbers, there was still a lot of fun to be had. Free food, cute photos, and a movie in the theater were just some of the highlights from the dance.

Shorewood showed up and celebrated together making this a Homecoming to remember.