News Reef

What’s happening at Shorewood

by Minseo Kim, Art director

Winter Dance

Hosted by the Class of 2023, the Winter Dance will take place on Feb. 17 in the Commons from 8 – 11 p.m. The dress code is semi-formal and the tickets will be $10 with ASB, $15 without, and $20 at the door. Come swing and sway!

SW Tri-M Recital

Orchestra, Band, and Choir…Your all-time favorites all at once! Shorewood’s Tri-M Music Honor Society is having a recital inside the theater at 5 p.m. on Tuesday Jan. 31. Read more on page 13 for more information.

Professional Certificates Virtual Fair

This free virtual fair is for students looking for professional or technical certification programs for post-secondary options. Registration started on Jan. 18 and the fair is happening on Thursday Feb. 2, from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. (PST) Check gotocollegefairs.swoogo.com/procertificates2023 for details. 

North Helpline Food Bank Food Drive

From Jan. 23 to Jan. 28, students can drop off food donations at Shorewood commons and main office. The items have to contain low sodium with no added sugar and be packed in water or fruit juice. Check the posters around the buildings for details. 

End of first semester 

Time for new classes and new fun on Tuesday, Jan. 31. The first semester comes to a close on Friday, Jan. 27. 

DO-IT Scholars Program

DO-IT Scholars Program is a UW summer program that prepares sophomores and juniors with disabilities for successful college and career life. Priority application deadline is Monday, Jan. 30. 

Princeton Prize for Race Relations

This annual award rewards high school students who have undertaken significant efforts to advance racial equity through volunteer activities. Sounds like you or someone you know? Apply by Jan. 31. 

Eagle’s Nest Homework Help @ Echo Lake

Since November, Echo Lake Elementary School has been offering after-school tutoring sessions for 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:35 – 4:15 p.m. Join the team and help the eagles soar!  

Mid-Winter Break 

Mid-winter break starts on Monday Feb. 20 and we come back to school on Monday Feb. 27… That’s a whole week off.